Friday, February 21, 2014

Sochi 2014

I can't believe how wrong I was.  When I heard that the Olympics were going to be in Sochi, Russia, I thought they would be mostly ignored by Canadians.  I know, it sounds harsh, but let me explain.

When the Olympics were in Vancouver, the gold medal matches, runs, races, etc, were after 6pm.  Most of us would get home from work or school and be able to watch everything live.  But with Russia being something like 8 hours ahead of us, most of the great  events would air in the middle of the afternoon.  How would we watch that?

I was proven wrong yesterday at my doctor's appointment.  You see the women's hockey team was playing for a gold medal.  I wanted to watch it...but had to go to my appointment.  When I arrived in the waiting room, I knew something was different.  A tv was on showing the game. It was late in the third period with Canada down two goals.  It was obviously tense in the room...until Canada scored to make it 2-1.  Now you could feel everyone in the room start to believe...not to mention the Canadian women's hockey team.   They eventually tied the game and then won it in overtime!

I later discovered that banks, schools, workplaces, and homes were also showing the game.  No one was working...for at least 30 minutes so they could watch the game.

It felt like Vancouver all over again.  When Canada scored to win the game in overtime, it felt like the entire country was cheering.

Big thanks to the Canadian women's team for making us proud...again!


No comments:

Post a Comment