Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Mechanical Devotion

My pastor used to say, "savings is what you have just before your car breaks down."  Do you believe that to be true?



As frustrating as it can be to take your car in to get fixed, there are a few things I have learned from the process.

1) Regular maintenance can prevent breakdown
2) No matter how many tune ups and oil changes you have done, they are never a guarantee that your car will not break down.
3) Ignoring a problem will not make it go away.

Sure, it's embarrassing to say that I have had to learn all three of those points the hard way.  But did you notice that those three points can apply to our spiritual life too?  

1) If we are not spending time reading the Bible and in prayer, it is almost a guaranteed breakdown.  
2) The Bible never promises a problem free life.  Believe me, I looked...it's not there.
3) If God is speaking to us about something, either through prayer, something in the Bible, or another person.  We should listen and try and fix it.  If we don't, the issue will only get worse and drag us down.

I bet you never thought a car that wouldn't start would lead to a blog like this.  I guess God really can use anything to teach us something.

P.S.  When was the last time you changed your oil?




No comments:

Post a Comment