Friday, June 20, 2014

Songs That Never Get Old

The last time you cleaned out the garage or some boxes in the closet you may have found some old albums, cassettes or cd's.  Just for old times sake you gave them a quick listen, and I do mean quick and said, "that sounds so old now."  After your kids take a few minutes to make fun of you for ever liking that music, you throw it back in the box only to find it again in another couple of years.

But every once in awhile, a song brings back such great memories that you know that you could never forget a song or album like that and could never throw it away.  Anything come to mind?  I will share few of mine which may help you get back on the road headed straight for memory lane.

First up for me, Music Machine.  As a pastor's kid, Bullfrogs and Butterflies was big and so was this.  There would not be too many church kids from my generation that would not know the words to this song.


Next up, Steve Camp - Shake Me To Wake Me.  I always remember this because it was the first cassette my parents banned from our house.  Mom and dad have since changed their rules on music, but at the time, most of the Christian Rock bands were banned from the church because of their style of music.  If my parents couldn't understand the lyrics, and if the drums and guitars were too loud, it did not belong in our home.  Ha ha...still makes me laugh!


Carman - Radically Saved.  After my parents saw the error of their ways and realized that it is the lyrics that matter and not the style, this was the first cassette they bought for us.  I know, this is not exactly wild and crazy, but it was a HUGE step for my parents.


As a teenager, my youth pastor, Greg Janz, made our youth group a great place to hang out.  He and his wife Monique went out of their way to make sure everybody felt welcome.  We played lots of goofy games, went on retreats, youth conventions, youth camps, and he always had Christian music playing loud when we walked in, like this...


After such a strange start to Christian music, it is kind of ironic that I end up at a Christian radio station. August 11 will make it 11 years for me at LIFE.  But I was a listening even before I arrived.  The first song I ever heard on LIFE was this one by Geoff Moore.


Even though I have been involved in Christian radio for over 10 years, it is still fun to know that songs still catch my attention today.  It might be a catchy melody, or convicting lyric, or maybe it is just the excitement of knowing that by playing this music on LIFE, someone else may become a fan for the very first time and be writing their own Christian blog on music history 10 years from now.  Here's hoping!

P.S.  Here is a new one you might like...






 

No comments:

Post a Comment