Friday, September 6, 2013

Smoke Detectors

Have you noticed that smoke detectors always let you know that the battery is low between midnight and 6am?  That shrill, loud beep, along with some loud instructions in French, let us know that our battery was low earlier this week.  My two-year-old even got caught up in the action by letting us know he heard a noise and people talking outside his bedroom.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the reminder, but I wonder if they could get more creative and "quiet" on future units.  When there is a fire, I want the beep to be loud and shrill. Whatever it needs to be to wake us up.  But a warning?  Why not a rapid flashing light?  Why not the soothing sound of ocean waves lapping up against the shore?  Or what if you could program it to play your favourite song?  It may not wake us up in the middle of the night, but the gentle reminder would be just as helpful...and might allow us to get the few extra hours of sleep we need.

To all of the smoke alarm companies...my suggestions...free of charge.  You're welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment