Friday, January 25, 2013

Authority

So, I have never lived in Toronto but for some reason I know a lot about Mayor Rob Ford.  He made headlines around the world when he was removed from office for what was considered to be an abuse of power.  The mayor appealed the ruling and was allowed back in the mayor's office today.

Most of us have an opinion of what went on simply by what was reported, including me.  But as I saw the mayor with a huge look of relief on his face today, I thought of 1 Timothy 2:1-4:


I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

As the decision was I made, I realized how little I had prayed for Rob Ford.  Even though I saw his face in the news over and over again, his name was rarely said in my prayers.

Then I started to think about my mayor, and provincial and federal leaders, and the prime minister.  How often do I pray for them?

Maybe you pray for government leaders daily.  If you do, I'm sure they appreciate it.

If you are like me and forgot, good news, we can start today.  Pray today, in fact pray now.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment